Thursday 17 March 2011

5. How did you attract/address your audience?


Due to the little experience I had in the production of films, I knew that attracting and addressing the audience would be a difficult task. I thought that if I created the film so that the typical thriller conventions are challenged to create something different for the audience. I wanted to create something unusual and use ideas and scenarios that would make the audience question what is going on.

I made sure that the film was going to draw in the audience and then make then question what was going on. What they would see would be untypical of the other films similar to mine that they had seen. I accomplished this mainly through shooting the film in daylight. The majority of thriller films will be shot at night when it is dark or at dusk when it is getting dark to make the scene more scary and mysterious. A typical thriller film will have some sort of crime or murder than happens during the night and I wanted to challenge this typical convention and attract my audience in a different way.

I did not include any real clues as to what the girl was aiming to do and where she was walking. I made sure she was clutching a bag under her arm and then through the editing I included a ticking clock in the that pops up every now and again which will obviously trigger some curiosity in the audiences’ mind. The audience will be questioning what they are seeing in the scenes leading up to the last scene. All we see is the girl walking and she shows no emotion and this builds tension. Building tension throughout the film opening was the biggest task I had as it was very difficult to do so as the filming was done in the day and there was nothing that made the girl seem that threatening other than the bag. As a result I had to work very cleverly with the editing and make sure that each scene built more and more tension as it went on. I feel that this worked well and from listening to my friend’s feedback after watching the film, they all said that there was a lot of tension throughout. This is obviously great feedback as it means that I have been successful in attracting and addressing the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment